Financial Statement Preparation
We can prepare or supervise the preparation of your financial statements. Compiled, reviewed, or audited statements can be provided according to your needs.
More importantly, we can help you use these statements, as well as other reports, to better manage your business and increase your profitability.
Good financial records are necessary for several reasons:
- Daily operating decisions are based on financial reports.
- Bank loans require reports of past performance.
- Tax return numbers need proper substantiation.
Prepare financial reports monthly. For year-to-date comparisons and to make quick management decisions, financial reports must be done monthly. "As goes the month, so goes the year." You can compare the sales, gross profit, and net profit at, say, the end of May, with prior years and get a good idea of how the current year will finish. You can compare the total accounts receivable or payables with prior years to spot problems and then quickly take corrective action.
Here are some common business ratios you should monitor on a month-by-month and a year-by-year basis:
- Current ratio — Current assets divided by current liabilities will measure your ability to pay your current debts.
- Debt to equity ratio — Total liabilities divided by net worth will provide you with a year-to-year comparison of your ownership in the company.
- Receivables outstanding — Receivables divided by average day's sales will give you the number of days' sales on the books.
- Profit margin — Gross profit divided by net sales will allow you to compare your business operations to other companies in your industry, as well as monitor your own operations over time.
Understanding financial statements can increase business profits. If you would like to learn more about using financial statements to make sound business decisions, we will be happy to assist you. No one was born understanding financial information, but it is easier to learn than most people think.
Give us a call; we're here to help.
News & Resources
- Memo: Will the new "repair regulations" affect your business?
- Memo: Congress extends tax breaks
- Tax Tip of the Week
- Business Tip of the Month
- Financial Tip of the Month
- Online Advisor newsletter
- Taxes QuikGuide™
Rates, Dates, & Requirements
- Tax Legislation Highlights
- Tax Planning Letter
- The Reference Section
- Tax Calendar
Keep track of major tax deadlines
- Frequently Asked Tax Questions
- Fraud Alert
- Client Update newsletter
- Money Matters: A Glossary
180 Park Road
Burlingame, California 94010
Fax: (650) 342-6371